THE FOLLOWING IS A RELEASE FROM PGA JR. LEAGUE REGARDING THE SEASON
Please note that the following message will be sent program-wide to 2019 and 2020 PGA Jr. League players later today at approximately 5 p.m. ET. We encourage you to connect with your Regional League Manager to work through what impact, if any, this postponement of play until May 10th means for you and your league. We wish you all the best during this difficult time, and please let us know how we can be of service to you.
At PGA Jr. League, we stand for togetherness – bringing friends, families, and communities together around the great game of golf with their PGA and LPGA Coaches. We celebrate high-fives, team cheers, large galleries, pizza parties and more. Social connection is the heart and soul of the program, and it’s why we’re reaching out to you again today with an update on the season.
To bring these foundational principles to life, we developed the “Three Flags” that serve as our commitment to parents, players, and the PGA Jr. League community at large – 1) Safety; 2) Care; & 3) Organization, in that priority order.
Last Friday, we released a statement encouraging each league to follow local, county, and national health authorities. Since then, two important developments have occurred:
- The Center for Disease Control (CDC) made the following announcement on March 15 – “Therefore, CDC, in accordance with its guidance for large events and mass gatherings, recommends that for the next 8 weeks, organizers (whether groups or individuals) cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States.” This reflects almost all PGA Jr. League games.
- The next day, the White House released “The President’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America” which includes “avoiding social gatherings in groups of more than 10 people.” This reflects all PGA Jr. League events.
In light of these announcements, and to stay true to our values of safety and togetherness, we are aligning with the CDC’s recommended timeframe and postponing the PGA Jr. League season until May 10th.
We look at this similarly to a weather delay and are taking a number of proactive steps to ensure a successful season while we wait to get our teams back on the course. These include, with additional details TBA in the days ahead:
- Encouraging players to continue registering for the season.
- Exploring team kit distribution options to help ensure uniforms arrive by your season start-date.
- Exploring possible modifications (if necessary) to the postseason to maximize the timeframe for local league play.
- Encouraging local leagues to participate in our Fall Rec Season so there are opportunities to play for as long as the weather in your area allows.
- Developing an empathetic and flexible refund policy.
Additionally, we’re excited to stay engaged during this time to help keep our PGA Jr. League community as strong as ever. Therefore, you can expect regular email updates from us with suggestions for alternative activities and learning opportunities over the coming weeks. We’ll be aggregating all activity suggestions at PGAJrLeague.com/Organization.
You can continue to find all of our safety updates at PGAJrLeague.com/Safety, where we’ll post regular updates as they’re available.
We wish you, your loved ones, and your community all the best during this difficult time. We’re in this together, and we can’t wait to get your team back on the course as soon as we can safely and responsibly do so.